Wolves win wild Game 2

Posted: February 10, 2019 in News and notes

The Ripley Wolves spotted Huron East a 5-1 lead on Saturday night in Kincardine, but scored four goals in a 3:35 span late in the second period to pull victory from the jaws of defeat.

It was an ugly start for the Wolves, as they went down 3-0 in the first 10 minutes of the opening period. A rebound that landed on a wide open stick, an odd bounce to a Centennaire at the top of the crease, and a couple of Ripley posts made it look like it just wasn’t going to be Ripley’s night.

Dan Nicoloff, who was a scoring threat all night for the home team, pulled the Wolves to within two with a goal from Gerrit Satosek and Blake Nichol. But Huron East would add another before the period was out to lead 4-1 heading into the break, driving Jason Hamilton from the Wolves net in the process to be replaced by Kurt Edwards.

Eight minutes into the second, Huron East scored what appeared to be a back-breaking fifth goal to go up 5-1 with half the game in the books. The Wolves bench was visibly dejected as the puck was dropped at centre ice.

Then, with under seven minutes left in the second and suddenly out of nowhere, the Wolves big guns went to work. Applying offensive pressure the game had yet to see, Huron East took a hooking penalty. Just 10 seconds into the powerplay, Cody Britton found himself open at the side of the goal and made no mistake. Assists went to Keaton Willis and Ben Hughes.

Just 16 seconds later, off the rush, Britton received a pass from Brett Catto as he entered the Huron East zone. He faked a shot, and pulled the puck back just enough to buy himself time to find a streaking Hughes on the left wing, and he stuck it in the gaping cage.

It was now 5-3.

After taking a breather for a shift, which ended with a slashing penalty for the Cents, the Britton-Hughes-Catto line hopped the boards for the powerplay. Once again it was Britton who took a beautiful feed from Hughes as they crossed the line, as he streaked past the flat-footed defenceman. Once in tight, Britton chipped a gorgeous backhand over the stunned goalie’s shoulder, making the game 5-4. The second assist went to Catto.

That’s three goals in 1:19 of game play.

While the line wouldn’t score for another 2:16, Catto tied the game at 5-5 with three minutes remaining in the second, from Britton and Hughes.

The sudden turn of the tides carried over to the third, as the Wolves carried the vast majority of the play, though it took until the final five minutes of the game for Tyson Soers to snap a shot home from the slot to give the Wolves the 6-5 lead they wouldn’t relinquish, and a 2-0 series lead.

Though they’ll hope to avoid letting the visitors jump to a four-goal lead today, the Wolves will look to put a strangehold on the series today (Sunday) at 3 p.m. in Ripley. Game sponsor is Canadian Tire Kincardine.

It’s also Caesar Sunday in the Wolves Den so drop in before, during and after the game for a delicious Caesar with all the toppings (and more!).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.