Wolves take Game 2 in overtime

Posted: February 9, 2013 in News and notes

The Ripley Wolves have taken a 2-0 series lead over the Durham Thunder Cats, after staging a comeback 3-2 overtime win on Friday night.

It was a penalty filled first period, but neither team was able to capitalize on their chances. Ripley took a 1-0 lead early in the second on a Kyle Gallant powerplay goal. It was assisted by Travis VanGaver.

Durham came storming back though, scoring two goals in a minute span to take a 2-1 lead into the third period. Mark Stanley evened the score midway through the third – from Nathan Gavey and Chad Colling – but neither team could find the winner, sending the game to overtime.

To the relief of everyone on the visiting team’s bench, Nick Locking ended the game on the first shift of the extra period, sending Ripley home with a 3-2 win and 2-0 series lead. Assists on the winning goal went to Jeremy McQuillin and VanGaver.

Kurt Edwards was outstanding in Ripley’s net, stopping 34 shots – including 29 in the first two periods – for the huge win.

The Wolves look to take a commanding 3-0 series lead tonight, at home, at 7 p.m. The Ripley Tykes will be impressing the crowd with a game between the first and second periods, so make sure you come out to support not only the current Wolves, but also the future ones!

Special thanks also go to executive committee member Mike Smith who is keeping our fans who can’t be at the game up-to-date through our Twitter (@RipleyWolves) and Facebook accounts.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.