Wolves earn a pre-Christmas split

Posted: December 26, 2012 in News and notes

The Ripley Wolves entered the holiday season with a 6-3 loss to the first-place Elora Rocks, followed by a 7-4 win over the Lucknow Lancers last weekend.

On Friday night in Elora, the Wolves took a 1-0 lead on a goal by Nick Locking, assisted by Jeremy McQuillin and Travis VanGaver. Unfortunately, Elora scored the next three goals to take a 3-1 lead late into the second, when Devin Kemp brought the Wolves to within one, from Ryan Armstrong and Mark Stanley.

Down 3-2 to start the third, the Wolves just needed a good start to the period to put the pressure on the home team, but it wasn’t meant to be, as the Rocks restored their two-goal lead just 45 seconds into the period. Though the Wolves would again pull within one when Stanley scored by McQuillin and VanGaver, they couldn’t get the equalizer and eventually gave up two goals late in the game to lose 6-3.

Kurt Edwards took the loss in the Wolves net, but played a strong game and kept his team in it until the dying minutes.

On Saturday, a big crowd enjoyed both the Lucknow Legends ladies’ hockey game, as well as the battle of Huron-Kinloss between the Wolves and Lucknow Lancers.

It was a back-and-forth affair, especially early in the game, when each team scored twice in the first 10 minutes of the game. Ripley’s goals went to Kemp, from McQuillin and Nathan Gavey, and Kyle Wreford, from Armstrong and Corey McCrae. Lucknow’s goals were scored by Cory McDonald, from Rick Andrew, and Andrew unassisted.

The Wolves took back the lead early in the second when VanGaver scored from Armstrong and Blair Pollock, but Lucknow’s Andrew got his second goal and third point of the night from Ean Moffat. Paul Stewart restored Ripley’s lead with six minutes to play in the second, from McQuillin and Locking, but Lucknow tied the score at 4-4 when McDonald scored from Andrew and Moffat with 19 seconds left in the period, on the powerplay.

That was the last goal Ripley’s Tom Church would allow, as he faced 29 shots on the night. The Wolves managed to get to Ben Dorscht for three in the third, as part of their 48-shot barrage. Third period scorers for Ripley were Locking (2) and Tim Dwinnell. Assists on both of Locking’s goals went to Stanley and McQuillin, while Gavey and Brian Stanley set Dwinnell up for his.

The Wolves travel to Saugeen Shores on Friday night for an 8:30 start, and then return home to host the Durham Thundercats, on Saturday night, at 7:30 p.m. The final home game of 2012 is sponsored by the Township of Huron-Kinloss.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.